Friday, September 19, 2008

Chocolate egg cream soda

If you've ever been to New York, or the nearby area, you have probably come across an egg cream. It may sound disgusting, but it's a name not exactly befitting this wonderful drink. It has no egg in it, and really very little cream.
I guess the closest description would be it's similar to a lightly carbonated YooHoo. But better. Much better. It's more refreshing. You could make your own at home, I think the recipe is a squirt or 2 of chocolate syrup (U-Bet brand if you are a purist) and an inch of milk. Then fill the cup with carbonated water, stir and enjoy.
But if you don't want to fuss with all that, I highly recommend Jeff's Chocolate Soda Egg Cream.

Photobucket
Old stock photo


A 12 oz. bottle has 170 calories of mostly sugar. Personally, I'd rather make my own, or get one from the soda fountain, but if you have never had a genuine NY Egg Cream, Jeff's will give you an idea of how the final product should taste. While I never tried it, I'm sure about an inch or so of chocolate milk, mixed with seltzer would give the same results.

4 comments:

Preston said...

You absolutely will get the same results. I like to make an "adult" egg creme with a little Godiva Liqueur. Mmmm.

Donnie said...

Man that sounds good!

Da Old Man said...

@ Preston: Sounds great to me.

@ Don: It is really good.

Anonymous said...

man this really sound good.