Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I Love Hell's Kitchen

I'm a big fan of Hell's Kitchen, and I'm not entirely sure why. It doesn't have much of a cooking element to it. Of course, they cook, but it's not food anyone would make at home. Tonight I'm watching them make gourmet pizza. Ramsey said his one restaurant offers a $200 pizza. I can't even begin to wrap my mind around that.

Pizza developed as a simple street food. Why do chefs have a desire to turn it into something so complex? Do I need sliced truffle pizza? Is Kobe beef really going to make my pie any better?

I'm a huge fan of simplicity, with quality. A slice of crusty Italian bread, dipped in some really good extra virgin oil is a gastronomic masterpiece. Some fresh herbs like parsley or basil really guilds the lily, as Molto Mario would say. Serve it with some good provolone or fresh mozzarella, and that's as good as it gets.

I just bought a case of Sicilian extra virgin oil, and the taste is spectacular. It has a depth of flavor that is nearly indescribable. That is the basis of a perfect meal.

1 comment:

Babchi said...

nuts to simplicity...i could go for a $200 pizza